Date: December 24, 1999


To: LRRP-Ranger Homepage

11464 Wein Rd.

Cook MN, 55723

My name is Howard Glick and I was in 4th division LRRP’s from December 1966 to the end of November 1967. I was in division LRRP, not brigade.

I came in country on Dec. 1, 1966 and was assigned to 4th division holding company to wait for assignment. While I was there they asked for volunteers for a Long Range Recon Patrol. At the time we had been in holding company for about 10 days and we were bored to death, so I volunteered. There were seven of us that volunteered that night and we walked out from division base camp and basically sat out there all night on a listening post, the next morning we walked back in and reported that we saw nothing and heard nothing. About one week later all seven of us received orders to report to division LRRP. At the time division LRRP did not exist, but a second lieutenant showed up and started to explain to us what our job was going to be. He started off by telling us that there may be a more dangerous job in Vietnam but they had not found it yet. He told us that out of the seven of us four might make it back home. He literally scared the hell out of us. By the way all seven of us made it without a scratch. I would like to tell who those seven volunteers were: Aubrey Bailey, Harvey Jackson, Rubin Rodrigues, Jesus Vasquez, Wade Evens, myself and a Sargent named Davis, he did not last very long with the LRRP’s and I do not remember his first name. I also do not remember the lieutenant’s name and he too did not stay very long with us either.

When we started we could not get equipment, weapons or much of anything else. We were attached to HHQ 1st Squadron 10th Cav.. We were sent to the CAV. fire base at the oasis but nobody knew what to do with us. We did not even have a tent to sleep in. We had to make hooches oust of our ponchos and that is where we lived until we got our own tent. The weapons we got were old grease guns, and I had no idea where they came from.

There were 2 people responsible for making division LRRP’s successful. The first was General Peers and the other was our new C.O., o young Captain by the name of Charles Blanchard. General Peers was very interested in the LRRP concept. He used to make trips to our fire base to see how things are going and if there was anything we needed, and when a General takes an interest in you it’s amazing how quickly things get done. It wasn’t long before we got new car 15’s and anything else we needed. I remember on one patrol my team was on patrol near Dak and we found a huge bunker and a tunnel complex. I called it in and they sent out the aero rifle platoon and engineers to go through everything and blow it up. Once they came in we were on our way back to the fire base when the pilot said to stay on board after we landed. After we landed he said that he had been told that I was to fly directly to division base camp to debrief General Peers. I had been on patrol for five days and was filthy dirty and smelled like a skunk but that didn’t matter at all. General Peers took me into the war room and to a huge wall map and told me to show him where we had patrolled and where we found the complex. After a few minutes I had to tell him that on this huge map I could not even find the area we had gone to. He calmly showed me where we went in and I had no problem going on from there. I think what impressed me most about him is how comfortable he made a very nervous 20-year-old kid feel.

The main person responsible for making the division LRRP’s work was Captain Blanchard. He did everything he could to make things better for us. He trained new people that came in, made sure that all of us had the opportunity to go to the MACV Recondo school in NGA Trang and tried to make sure we had all the support we needed when we were on patrol. We always had either artillery or air support when we were on patrol. I think that the thing that impressed me the most about him is that he cared so much about the men in his command, if a team leader radioed for immediate extraction he could never question the team leaders decision. I remember that he was going to refuse the promotion to major because that he would have to be transferred out of the LRRP’s because we were attached to the 10th CAV. and he would have outranked the C.O. of the CAV.. I heard that General Peers made an exception for him allowing hin to stay with us at the rank of major. I lost contact with him after I came back but I know that he would do well at anything he wanted to do. In the year I was in the 4th division LRRP’s we lost only one man. I didn’t even know him. He had just joined and I believe that it was his first patrol, when he was shot by a sniper.

When I left to come home there were sixty-five people with division LRRP’s and we had a very success rate.

I have not had contact with anyone from the LRRP’s since then and very few people that I even know what a LRRP was. When I saw your website it brought back a lot of memories so I thought that I would write this letter to thank you.

After I got out of the army I heard that graduated from the MACV Recondo School was authorized to wear the ranger patch. I still don’t know if it is true and would like to know. I do know that a year I got out of the army they mailed me a Bronze Star.




Howard Glick